About the Center
Texas Center for Proton Therapy is an advanced, life-saving cancer treatment available in North Texas. The 63,000-square-foot center can treat solid tumors of all types in both pediatric and adult patients. It is the first stand-alone LEED-Certified proton therapy center in the U.S. The center’s central location is convenient for those in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and provides easy access to airports for patients traveling longer distances.
Texas Center for Proton Therapy by the Numbers: 13 school buses weight of cyclotron (220 tons); 4.5 Olympic-sized swimming pools equivalent amount of concrete needed to build the center; 12ft thickness of walls surrounding cyclotron; 3 stories height of gantry; 3 millimeters width of proton radiation beam; 1 number of proton therapy centers in Texas offering newest, advanced technology.
Texas Center for Proton Therapy features:
- Pencil-beam scanning for intensity modulated proton therapy and cone beam CT imaging – designed to treat tumors with pinpoint precision
- Advanced PET/CT and 3-Tesla MRI scanning technology
- Telemedicine consultations
- An on-site lab provides comprehensive, timely, and convenient lab work.
- Access to clinical trials
- A full range of patient support services to assist with the logistics of care and travel
- A children’s activity room/learning center
- Access from major highways with abundant free parking
- Integrated with Texas Oncology locations throughout the state
- A 1,100-square-foot community room featuring a seven-foot “HOPE Wall” filled with hand-written messages of encouragement and support
- A healing garden
Texas Center for Proton Therapy is the first stand-alone LEED-Certified (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) proton therapy center in the U.S. The center diverts more than 75 percent of its waste from landfills.
The center is a collaboration of Texas Oncology, The US Oncology Network, supported by McKesson Specialty Health, and Baylor Scott & White Health. The advanced treatment facility provides services through Texas Oncology, an independent oncology practice with locations throughout Texas. Texas Oncology is affiliated with The US Oncology Network, which includes privately held community-based oncology practices across the country.
Download Fast Facts Fact Sheet