Proton Beam Therapy
Proton therapy is an advanced type of radiation therapy aimed at destroying cancerous cells using protons. The treatment offers sub-millimeter precision that delivers high-energy proton beams directly to tumors, minimizing damage to surrounding healthy tissue.
Texas Center for Proton Therapy has gone beyond standard proton radiation therapy and is one of only a few proton treatment centers in the nation that offers pencil-beam scanning with cone beam computed tomography (cone beam CT) used to meticulously guide treatment.
How Does Proton Therapy Work?
Proton beam therapy delivers targeted radiation to tumors, guided by the some of the world’s most accurate imaging technology located onsite at our proton therapy center. Learn more about proton therapy and how it works.
Cancers Treated by Proton Therapy
Proton therapy most often treats tumors in sensitive areas where conventional therapy may not be the best option. Proton radiation is a beneficial option for treating pediatric cancers because it can minimize damage to their smaller and still-developing bodies. Proton beam therapy is not appropriate for all cancers. Learn more about cancers treated with proton therapy.
Benefits of Proton Therapy
Proton beam therapy has several advantages. Among the benefits, proton therapy:
- Is especially effective in treating cancers in sensitive areas and for children whose bodies are still growing
- Lowers cancer recurrence rate for many patients
- Reduces exposure and damage to surrounding healthy tissue and vital organs
- Is non-invasive and may decrease side effects
- Increases patients’ tolerance of other therapies such as chemotherapy
- Can help patients maintain their current quality of life during and after treatment
- Is sometimes effective in treating areas previously treated with radiation
History of Proton Therapy
Over the past century, the study of protons has evolved from a fascination with nuclear physics to become one of the most promising developments in cancer treatment. Learn more about the history of proton therapy.
Is Proton Therapy Right for Me?
Proton therapy can treat most solid tumor cancers and can be used alone or jointly with chemotherapy and other treatments. Factors such as overall health are taken into consideration, and we evaluate every case to determine if proton therapy is right for you.
Proton therapy is not right for every situation. If you have a cancer where proton therapy would be effective, we will evaluate your diagnosis to find the best option individualized to you and your cancer.